Stamp II math notes
(c) 1998 EME Systems, Berkeley CA
contents (updated 11/4/99)
This used to be a single document, but I have now split it into
several pieces. This index will take you to the appropriate
- Topics on multiplying a variable times
a constant fraction.
- */ and ** operators for multiplying a variable times a
- Topics in division, where a variable is
in the denominator, or double precision is needed.
- long division
- reciprocal of a variable and in-line division
- double precision division
- Functions: the square root, arccos
& arctan, logarithm, and interpolation.
- arcCos and arcTan
- interpolation of the square root
- logarithm by interpolation in a table
- logarithm by calculation
- tables and interpolation
- Calculation and display: Negatives,
Decimals, Time and Date, IF-THEN-LET.
- BS2 integer math and negative numbers
- display of data with decimal point
- julian date and time
- IF-THEN LET constructs
- Statisical calculations and digital
- statistics: mean, min, max, and S.D.
- Division algorithm for
- interpretation of fixed point fractions
Please let the author know if you find typos or errors
in this formulary, or if you find it useful (despite the bugs!). It
is always good to know that this has been appreciated. These programs
and snippets are presented without warranty. Nothing substitutes for
understanding of the problem you are trying to solve and the methods
you intend to use.
I came across Scott
Dattalo's site, which has a lot of interesting algorithms for the
PIC, and theory. Scott recalled the following aphorism:
In theory, there's not much
difference between theory and practice; in practice, there
And I think is was Willard Gibbs who said,
There is nothing quite so
practical as a good theory.